NRF: iThemba LABS Bursary
National Research Foundation
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through
funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader
community in all fields of science and technology, including natural science, engineering, social science and
iThemba Laboratory for accelerator based sciences is a group of multidisciplinary research laboratories administered
by the NRF. Based at two sites in the Western Cape and Gauteng, these facilities provide for:
• Basic and applied research using particle beams
• Particle radiotherapy for the treatment of cancer
• The supply of accelerator-produced radionuclides for medical and industrial applications
Who Can Apply
Applicants must be on their second year level of study.
• Applicants must have attained a minimum of 60% pass in their first year.
• Selection of successful candidates will be strictly on academic merit.
• Applicants are expected to study at an accredited South African tertiary institution.
Which Countries can Apply?
31 December 2020
National Research Foundation Building, Meiring Naude Road, Scientia 627-Jr, Pretoria, South Africa